Another diet blog? Really?

Yes really. Why? Well why not? I am soon to be 45, have been overweight most of my life and I'm ready to do something about it. I quit smoking a year ago this month and decided I needed to make another huge life change this month. Lose weight.

That brings us to 2150 calories per day.

When I calculated what I needed to eat to lose the weight I want (a really huge goal of 100lbs) I figured how hard can this be?

I knew the exercising would be hard, I knew it was a huge commitment but who thought eating 5 meals per day every 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hrs and totaling 2150 calories could be so hard?

I thought the eating would be the easy part.

Boy was I wrong.

So join me as I attempt my huge undertaking. Some days I'll succeed, some days I know I will fail then have to pick myself up and start again. But with this blog I hope to bring a smile to some faces with my odd sense of humor and I'm sure there will be a tear here and there as well.

If the exercise doesn't kill me (bodyweight training) the 2150 calories certainly will.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

modifications need to be made

I am keeping up with my food journal but I have to lump stuff together now (salad) instead of listing every ingredient. I will, of course, tally up all the numbers for all the ingredients.

Speaking of which, who comes up with serving sizes? Truly who does that? I can understand some of it but especially in these calorie counting gems being produced. A whole tomato is X. Ok that's great but who eats a whole tomato in their salad? Or when they do break it down to smaller units it will say Cucumber, chopped 1 cup. Again I say, really? 1 cup chopped cucumber? How many people are you feeding?
When I make a salad I take a small handful of chopped cucumber or tomato that would maybe measure 1/8 cup.

Next time you chop up something or get your measuring cup out, take a good look at it. You can fit A LOT of chopped anything in a cup. I thought the whole point of dieting was to eat less. Yeah sure veggies are good for you but that doesn't mean you need to eat your whole veggie bin in one sitting. What happened to moderation?
My favorite measurement so far has been iceberg lettuce, 5 leaves. Not 4, not 6 but 5. Who decides 5 is the magic number?

I had a salad for lunch today and I don't think I used 3 whole leaves which I tore up then added my little bits of cucumber, tomato, cheese, 1/2 piece of bacon and a couple slices of chicken torn up, some sunflower seeds and dressing. Done and it was a good amount of food and very filling. If I were to have made the salad based on someone's idea of serving sizes (these people have never been on a diet nor had to worry about servings I am convinced of this) I would still be eating that salad.

Lip is healing good. It was bruised this morning. I never knew your lip could get black and blue but it did. Still swollen but keeping a low profile.

I do have to work on a few things. I have to work on a better balance of proteins v. carbs and fats. I have yet to hit my target protein goal so I will work on that. Oh and I have to drink more water. I have always been bad about it so for me to drink 8 glasses is huge. I have yet to make that goal either.

Ok here is the official goal list.

* work on eating more proteins to meet goal of 240g/dy
* expand my meal planning
* drink more water!!!

Totals for Today

Calories 2102
Fat 91
Carbs 223
Protein 84
8oz. glasses of water 4

No comments:

Post a Comment