Another diet blog? Really?

Yes really. Why? Well why not? I am soon to be 45, have been overweight most of my life and I'm ready to do something about it. I quit smoking a year ago this month and decided I needed to make another huge life change this month. Lose weight.

That brings us to 2150 calories per day.

When I calculated what I needed to eat to lose the weight I want (a really huge goal of 100lbs) I figured how hard can this be?

I knew the exercising would be hard, I knew it was a huge commitment but who thought eating 5 meals per day every 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hrs and totaling 2150 calories could be so hard?

I thought the eating would be the easy part.

Boy was I wrong.

So join me as I attempt my huge undertaking. Some days I'll succeed, some days I know I will fail then have to pick myself up and start again. But with this blog I hope to bring a smile to some faces with my odd sense of humor and I'm sure there will be a tear here and there as well.

If the exercise doesn't kill me (bodyweight training) the 2150 calories certainly will.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Stop planning and start enjoying the moments

“If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.” - Author Unknown

I note that quote for a wonderful friend who thinks that as time ticks on in our lives we need to have a plan. Time is ticking and we only have so much time on this earth so we need to use it the best way possible.

I understand why she feels that way, she has gone through a lot in the last couple of years and suffered the greatest loss there is, her spouse. Now I don't say that to invoke bad memories for her or anyone else reading this but I say it so we understand why she feels the way she does.

Now that being said, She is of the mindset that she needs to know where her new relationship and her life is heading, time is ticking, not getting any younger and all that you know. Well I say this.

STOP!

Yes you heard me, stop.

Stop and listen to your heart, smell the flowers that line the walk at your office, listen to the children playing, listen to the whispers of your angels.

Time will continue ticking if we have a plan or not. We all want to use our time on earth to the best of our ability but if we plan it we will miss the best parts. The surprises in life. Yes some are a pain in the ass like flat tires on the car when we are already late for work but some of them can be wonderful.

That puppy that wondered into your life unexpectedly, the $20 bill you found in your winter coat pocket that you had forgotten all about, the bird's nest that now holds a family of five, the smile on your child's face because you were there to see them make the winning goal, your boyfriend who calls you for no reason other than to say that he loves you or the smile from the little old lady when you held the door at the post office for her even though she walked slowly and you had to wait, thereby taking some of your precious ticks and realizing that you aren't wasting your time you are enjoying life.

All of those things are wonderful but they can't be planned. Life moves so fast these days that we don't take the time to enjoy life anymore. You can't plan for life you just have to take it as it comes. Be it good or bad.

Minute by minute, tick by tick. Life is there for us to enjoy and savor. Make memories for ourselves and our loved ones. Every day is a do-over, as is every single minute of our lives. If we mess up, there is always the next minute, hour or day to make it up and have a do-over.

Although we want to do as much with our time as we can the purpose of our time on earth is to be happy.

An Irish saying really fits here: May your past be a pleasant memory, your future filled with delight and mystery, and your now a glorious moment that fills your life with deep contentment.

So live, laugh, love but most of all, remember to be happy.

~~~~~

Totals for today

Calories 1627
Fat 52
Carbs 188
Protein 100
8oz. glasses of water 4

No comments:

Post a Comment